This year, Eric Bergman once again provided a one-and-one-half hour version of his presentation skills program, Present With Ease, to delegates attending the annual conference of the Ontario Association of Youth Employment Centres (OAYEC) at the Nottawasega Inn north of Toronto.
During the session, Eric discussed the value of communicating effectively in what he calls the medium of face-to-face communication. "I've been in the communication business more than 22 years and I've discovered two things," Eric said, joking that he's originally from Alberta and therefore it sometimes takes him a while to recognize the obvious. "First, it is infinitely more valuable to communicate than it is to transmit. And second, within the communication process itself, it is infinitely more valuable to listen than it is to talk.
"I don't believe that, as individuals or organizations, we'll come of age in the information age until we embrace those two truths. When you're communicating with others, listen before you talk. And when you talk, communicate, don't transmit."
The delegates provided the following feedback in their evaluations:
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed overall the workshop was excellent
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed the workshop enhanced their knowledge of the issue
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed the workshop was relevant to their workplace/community
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed the presentation was well organized
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed they would attend another workshop given by this presenter
- Very professional speaker
- What I learned I can immediately apply
- Thoroughly enjoyable, practical and relevant
- Best workshop I've ever attended; very thought provoking
Copyright © Eric Bergman 2005 All Rights Reserved